Saturday, September 21, 2013

Whydah or Ouida

Pirate Bartholomew Roberts at Ouidah, with his ship and captured merchantmen in the background

In local tradition Kpase is supposed to have founded the town.[4] This probably happened towards the end of the sixteenth century.[5]The town was originally known as Glēxwé, literally 'Farmhouse', and was part of the kingdom of Xwéda.

In 1727 the Kingdom of Whydah was captured by the forces of King Agaja of Dahomey.

The PortugueseEnglishDutch, and French all constructed forts in the city to protect their interests in slaving. The Portuguese reached the town they called Ajudá in 1580 and the Portuguese Fort of São João Baptista de Ajudá, now housing a museum, dates from 1721 and remained with Portugal until 31 July 1961.

No comments: